Drawing from her background in business, journalism, and the nonprofit sector, Janet helps audiences communicate clearly and persuasively and manage the demands of their busy lives. Participants praise her ability to deliver solid content with warmth and humor, encouraging high participation and retention of material.
Effective Business Writing
Good writing increases credibility and cooperation, while less-than-good writing can lead to confusion and delay. Get better results from your emails, reports, and other business documents by saying what you mean clearly and concisely. Improve your productivity by giving readers the information they need, the way they need it—so the message gets through the first time.
Participants will learn to:
- Plan and draft documents with more focus and less stress.
- Analyze a reader’s point of view to gain greater cooperation.
- Write clear subject lines that prompt efficient responses.
- Choose the right formatting to enhance the message.
- Organize information logically for quick reader comprehension.
- Use appropriate tone.
- Recognize and avoid common, credibility-damaging errors in grammar and punctuation.
- Spot and eliminate unnecessary words and phrases, without sounding brusque.
- Proofread for accuracy.
Presenting with authority and credibility is crucial to success in most professional roles. Whether an audience is made up of internal teams, executive decision makers, conference attendees, or other stakeholders, presenters must engage listeners and drive outcomes in an environment of distracted attention. In this class, you will learn how to create effective content and deliver it well, building confidence as well as skill in the verbal and nonverbal aspects of presenting.
Participants will learn to:
- Identify strengths and challenges as a speaker.
- Analyze audiences in order to promote desired outcomes.
- Follow a step-by-step process for creating and focusing presentation content.
- Practice nonverbal elements of good presenting, including stance, eye contact, gestures, and vocal volume and variety.
- Speak within time constraints.
- Become familiar with a variety of techniques to keep audiences engaged.
- Learn how visuals enhance a message or detract from it.
- Handle question-and-answer sessions with authority and poise.
- Manage anxiety during both preparation and delivery.
Mindful Time Management
Overload is a fact of professional life. Confronted with too many opportunities and demands, we react to the loudest stimulus, or keep doing what’s comfortable, even if it isn’t what matters most. One-size-fits-all time management “solutions” don’t make sense in today’s constantly shifting environment. Instead, this interactive workshop will help you to be more conscious about the decisions you are making moment to moment and incisively aware of default habits that are getting in your way. Discover how to be more deliberate about priority setting, scheduling, and responding to interruptions and unexpected events. Gain personalized tools for reducing overwhelm so that you make more powerful choices about how you use your time.
Participants will learn:
- A quick way to recover composure in the midst of chaos.
- Three questions that reduce overwhelm.
- The power of single-tasking and how to get better at it.
- Methods for observing and adjusting your behavior (that don’t take a lot of time).
- A tuning-in technique that gets you out of autopilot.
- Two practical techniques for dealing with procrastination at the source.
- Easy-to-implement structures that improve your focus
- Strategies for incorporating self-care and avoiding burnout.