When faced with conflict, do you get defensive…get competitive…clam up? Differences between people are inevitable, so managing conflict constructively is a crucial strength. Handled skillfully, conflict can become an opportunity for deeper understanding, better communication, greater team effectiveness, and innovative solutions. In this course, participants will use the highly respected Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI) to identify their habitual ways of handling conflict. Through lively activities, case studies and discussion, they will gain flexibility and skill in managing their default reactions and choosing productive responses to disagreement.
Participants will learn:
- The differences between the five conflict-handling styles—collaborating, compromising, competing, avoiding, and accommodating.
- Advantages and disadvantages of each conflict management approach and how to choose the most appropriate mode for a situation.
- Constructive alternatives to common communication traps.
- The importance of identifying and managing attribution error.
- Techniques for navigating divergent perspectives.
- Questions that elicit underlying needs and interests.
- A simple structure for making requests assertively and diplomatically.
Your Vacation Starts Now: Easing Into Life Balance
Don’t wait for your official vacation to get the self-nourishment you crave. Instead, avoid burnout by working renewal into your daily life. Janet shares inspiring ways to make relaxation, adventure, and shifts in perspective part of each day, so that you replenish your energy and motivation even in the busiest environments. Learn do-able techniques for getting that balance we all seek when we say, “I want my life back!”